Medical Records Clerk
Company: GEO CARE
Facility COLUMBIA REGIONAL
Category: HC - HEALTHCARE/MEDICAL/NURSING
Employment Status: Part-Time
This position files and organizes medical record and performing other associated tasks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to requests for medical records from attorneys, Social Security Administration and other health care facilities.
- Files all necessary documents in the charts. Keep charts well organized and up to date. Files loose reports and thinning into both the Master Record and discharged records.
- Types and mails notices of discharge and / or transfers.
- Acts as office receptionist in responding to inquires and assisting staff, auditors and reviewers with locating medical documents in the chart.
- Types memorandums, letters and reports. Take minutes for the Medical Records and Utilization Review Committee meeting, type and distribute.
- Indexes all coded diagnosis and procedures and maintain indexes.
- Orders and monitors office supplies for medical records.
- Keeps supervisor fully informed of activities, pertinent issues, upcoming events and potential problems assist hospital staff courteously and professionally.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three (3) years experience in an established medical records system. Electronic Medical Records experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of numerous procedures covering the organization and assembly of records. Familiar with the auditing of medical records.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and previous experience of working with clinical documentation. Employee must be able to follow instructions and manage time in an environment where they will be in constant demand.
- Ability to prioritize one's workload in the face of competing demands.
- Ability to read, understand and apply pertinent rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to read and communicate in English.
- High degree of empathetic listening, tact and kindness toward others.
- Ability to communicate well verbally.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Must be able to work with computers and the software applications typically used by the department.